Friday, September 26, 2008

The Legend - Professor Hal Dorf

Tonight, several managers, leaders, coaches, parents and children gathered together to chat about the good old times. Those "good old times" encompassed building an association of students who created an international study abroad program, facilitating an international seminar bringing leaders from the world's market to a symposium of exchanges that fostered careers, lifelong relationships and learning. Those times brought cultural studies to elementary schools, and dance to an entire county. They fueled spirits in people who caused great feats to be accomplished in short periods of time.

As I look back on those times, they are fondly recalled as some of the most courageous, adventurous and brain energizing days of my life, and there is one man that holds a shining light - my former professor, my former boss, my mentor and my friend, Professor Hal Dorf. And there is one woman whom all who have known Hal have come to love and adore, his bride, Miss Arlene. (She's been his "bride" for some 25 years plus =).

I'm sure I would not speak out of turn to say that every one of us holds the highest regard, greatest respect and a lifelong admiration for Hal, and for Arlene. We would say that we also hold the deepest debt of gratitude, but Hal would tell us that the glory belongs to us.

Hal and Arlene lead a life of example. Hal earned his undergraduate degree at NMU, and his masters at IMEDE (Lausaunne, Switzerland). He formed an alliance with Thunderbird College (Arizona) that led to an alliance between the NMU College of Business students and Thunderbird's Inernational Studies programs. He mentored students into coaches, and coaches into mentors. Together, Hal and Arlene have shown us deep devotion, what it means to stand beside your spouse, and that united - anything is possible. They have shown us that believing in the good in people will rise them to the call, that calling people to fulfill their dreams will benefit multitudes, and that life isn't about cramming people into little boxes on a hillside - it's about freeing people to their own excellence.

(I developed a process for projects in reflection of their lives, "Get by Giving" - which by the way is the way the Internet works best!)

Tonight, when I thanked him for touching my and my family's life through his wonderful teachings, he reminded me that it was not him who taught me, but rather me who taught him - he merely opened the door - we walked through. That's so typical of Hal - he always gives the glory to the man in the arena, the one sweating blood to make a dream come true. But we, all of "us" know that it was his belief in us that made things possible.

It is an honor to know him, and privilege to have walked with him. Thank you, Hal.

No comments: